Thursday, March 13, 2014

Direct Mail or Email Marketing? (It's Both!)

 

This cartoon made me think, "Is email losing steam? Is there going to be a trend back to good old fashion direct mail?" I know for me, my inbox is a lot more full than my mailbox. Is it the same for everyone? I decided to do some research.

As with all direct marketing, you need to know who your customer is. What is their preferred communication method?  According to Epsilon’s 2012 Annual Channel Preference Study of nearly 6,000 U.S and Canadian households, respondents’ stated preference is for information to be provided by direct mail on nearly every subject. These included health (general and sensitive), financial services, insurance, prescriptions, food products, and nonprofit/donations. Even cleaning and household products came out in favor of direct mail.

Over 60% of U.S. and Canadian survey respondents agreed with the following statements:

• I get a lot of email that I just don’t open.
• I am getting more email now versus a year ago.
• I enjoy getting postal mail from brands about new products
• I enjoy checking the mailbox for postal mail

Before you abandon your email campaigns…the message here is simply that a smart multi-channel strategy should include print.

According to Epsilon:

As consumer channel preference continues to evolve, marketers need to integrate the various sources consumers turn to when seeking brand and product information. Two to three channels are the most common way to communicate and build trust with a consumer.”

And this Production Supervisor thinks one of those two to three channels should be print – but I could be biased.

No comments:

Post a Comment