Thursday, February 23, 2012

Um, seriously?

Here at Eire we don’t produce flashy, sexy TV spots.  (We actually don’t produce any TV spots!)  But that doesn’t mean I don’t like to critique the spots I see.  As a direct marketer, I always wonder how effective the ads I have seen are - general advertising can’t give you the quantitative results us DMers crave.  And I marvel at the ads I see that don’t actually feature the product they are selling.  One example is Walter E. Smithe, a Chicagoland furniture retailer.  This family owned business, run by three brothers who I believe come up with the commercial ideas themselves, are always producing spots that tie to current events in the Chicago area.  They are always entertaining, tend to feature someone or something recognizable, and RARELY feature the furniture.  Here are a couple of examples:





The lip sync spot brings to mind a recent Geiko spot.  I love the “popular  middle school girls” who follow this guy around to…  help him loose weight?  Again, I’m entertained but not sure how it ties to car insurance?  Sure the save message is there but:



I’m not saying that these ads aren’t effective.  In fact, they’ve clearly made an impression on me. I just wonder how we can get our clients to have a little fun like this! In the meantime, we’ll just keep doing what we do best, and let the flashy, sexy agencies sell their products without really selling them.

No comments:

Post a Comment