Friday, September 30, 2011

I miss the Pink Sheets of paper.


Here are some reflections on the changes going on in the business world in 2011, for instance...

Last week while walking down the street, I saw an interesting QR code on the side of our building.  Reaching for my iPhone, I took a shot of the QR code and instantly saw Luminare's fancy website. In 1987 after walking down the street, I came into my office and my secretary gave me a handful of pink "WHILE YOU WERE OUT" slips so that I could return my missed phone calls.

Last week while in the car and lost, I typed in an address for Addison, Illinois and instantly had 11 step-by-step directions.  In 1987 before going to a meeting with a new prospect, I looked at the map on my wall and wrote down directions, expressways and side streets in my notebook to find my way.

Last week I decided to download a 2011 Rugby World Cup app. This gave me access to all of the current scores, videos and standings for the month-long tournament in progress.  In 1987 I called Sports Phone, a telephone recording of sports scores for up-to-the minute action on the Cubs and Sox. (I believe Les Grobstein was the voice of Sports Phone and I paid $.99 a call.)

Last week I participated in a webinar on "New Social Media Techniques" right in my own office.  In 1987 I saw Norman Vincent Peale speak at a seminar, "How to win Friends and Influence People" at the Chicago Amphitheater. There was still saw dust on the floor - they had just wrapped up a week of bull riding at the venue.

I miss those Pink Sheets of paper...

No comments:

Post a Comment