Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The New/Old Media

I recently read a very informative article on “19 tips for Building an SEO Strategy for Ad Agency New Business" by Michael Gass, michaelgass@mailvresp.com.

As a veteran of the Direct Marketing business I have often thought of the similarities of the DM business and the Internet or Web-based businesses. They both speak directly to the consumer or selected audience based on the products and services that they want to market or sell to. The audience identification, which is the backbone of all successful marketing campaigns, is crucial in the Internet or Social Media world. Some other similarities that I noticed in this article by Michael Gass are outlined below. Using today’s terms I have highlighted related terms that apply to my business training.

Benchmark – Know what your current page rank is and continue to monitor it with tools such as Alexa and the Google Tool.
Corresponding DM Term – Control Package or Response Rate for the Control Package.

Blog Refer Log – Visitors to your site and where they are coming from.
Corresponding DM Term – Response Analysis.

Meaningful title and/or a descriptor statement. 
Corresponding DM Term – Teaser copy on an outer envelope.

Domain Name.
Corresponding DM Term – Product title or what your company does.

Fresh Content.
Corresponding DM Term – Interesting copy!

The more I learn from this new media the more it makes sense. It sinks in when I am able to relate it to what I already know – the trick is being open-minded enough to see the power of this new/old media. The one item that I am totally enamored with is the viral nature of this new media. I don’t ever recall a person sending along a direct mail letter or a free-standing insert to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment