Thursday, July 21, 2011

On being a bridesmaid...


Similar to many of my peers, I’m going through the “bridesmaid phase” of my life. For those who aren’t familiar this phase, it is when you find yourself walking down the aisle at friends’ weddings more than once a year. Because I am in this phase, anything related to bridesmaids (dresses, bachelorette parties, showers, etc.) automatically catches my attention. I recently came across an article on cnn.com about the high cost of being a bridesmaid. The article indicated that it costs about $1,695 to be a bridesmaid. $1,695 for just one wedding!

Like many other bridesmaids, I didn’t realize how much I had invested to be a bridesmaid. The expenses are spread out over a few months, and I never took the time to reflect on the cost. I am currently in the process of picking out my matching dress, planning out what I am going to pack for a destination bachelorette party, and doing all the things that come along with the honor of being asked to stand up next to a best friend on her important day. The only difference is that this time I’m paying attention to the costs – and while I wouldn’t change how excited I am to be a bridesmaid for my friend – it’s all a bit shocking!

In the end, even though paying for a dress that, no matter what it looks like you will never “shorten and wear again” can be stressful, it is still worth it to be there for your friend…as long as you can afford it.


No comments:

Post a Comment