Friday, June 3, 2011

"Believe me, the reward is not so great without the struggle"*

My futile attempt at running began seven years ago when I signed up for a charity 5k in my town. I lasted about 3 blocks.  I hated it. Bound and determined to break the mental roadblock, I signed up again. I lasted about 3 blocks. I hated it. I hit the turning point in year three by running about half a mile. I was ecstatic. I hated it. The T-shirts began to pile up and I still was crossing the finish line at a fast paced walk. I finally figured out that what was beating me was the anticipation. By the time the gun went off I was so afraid of not finishing I wasn’t able to even start. I needed to relax, to realize that just maybe I would have a bit of fun. And slowly, very slowly, I improved. Music helped.  This year I completed my first 10k, ran the whole course, and crossed the finish line in true Olympic arm raised triumph. And I liked it.  

I will be participating in the TREK Sprint Triathlon in Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin. Check back in mid July to see how I finished. Your prayers are welcomed.

Swimming.  I hate it.

*Wilma Rudolph, Olympic Gold-medal Runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment